Here’s the recipe I’ve been asked about for my daughter Bonnie’s delicious gluten/dairy/sugar-free quinoa custard. It can be made with brown rice instead if you prefer. It’s so easy to prepare.
- 3 cup soy/rice/almond milk
- 4 free-range eggs
- 1 tspn pure vanilla extract + 1/2 tspn vanilla bean paste
- 1 tspn cinnamon
- small sprinkle of pure stevia to taste
- 1 cup cooked quinoa or brown rice
- Nutmeg for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan-forced
- Blend together the milk, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon & stevia
- Add cooked quinoa (or brown rice) and lightly mix.
- Place mixture in a greased oven-proof dish
- Place the oven-proof dish in a bain marie (larger roasting pan filled with water coming about half way up the dish)
- Sprinkle with a dusting of nutmeg
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the custard comes out clean
For variations, experiment with sultanas, chopped dates, stewed fruit, berries, orange or lemon zest etc as optional extras.
Enjoy the lovely, nutritious textures and flavours!!
FINDING ORGANIC INGREDIENTS
I always advise my patients to eat as much organic food as possible. There are several ingredients in this recipe easily found organic on the Central Coast. Check your local supermarket health food section for the organic quinoa & milk. You’ll find organic soy, rice or almond milk, but check the packaging for added sugar or additives. Organic eggs can be easily found in supermarkets, at your local organic grocer or from Central Coast food co-op FIG or at varous farmers markets. For those lucky enough to own a Vitamix Blender, you can quickly & easily make your own nut milk. We’ll be adding instructions for that shortly. Stevia is a highly concentrated sweetener and is also easily found in your local supermarket. Organic vanilla beans & powder are available from Loving Earth. Local company, Gourmet Organic Herbs do a wide variety of organic herbs and are stocked in several health food stores around the coast.